Up Date
Hello, Hello! Many things to talk about… It is now 16th and I am rounding up my third week of teaching. I’ve made it through sports day and the weather is starting to change a bit. I am off to Osaka this weekend and very excited.
The first week of school went well. It was very ruff at the beginning because I wasn’t sleeping well and I was thrust into four classes. My job goes way beyond my job description, which at times and mostly because I am new at this can be a little ruff. I am commanding my own classroom and my own curriculum.
Last week school wasn’t very busy as I the area experienced a typhoon and school was canceled early one day and canceled altogether the next. The typhoon wasn’t to ruff. I will admit I did become nervous at the furry of a couple wind gusts and my house’s shutters. Since we had off for the storm it meant that classes were to be canceled for the remainder of the week for preparation of Sport’s Day or what I like to call the ultimate field day. The canceled classes so they children could drill all of their events for sport’s day. Every detailed was choreographed and perfected. Might I add this was all done in 90 degree weather on a field made not of grass but of sand. The Japanese don’t believe in grass for some reason (I am investigating into why) I do know one reason is because when the Japanese think of grass they think of a golf course thus every lawn or field if they had them would have to look like a gulf course. Back to sports day…I was given a baseball cap and bought a T-shirt that all the staff wore. When I arrived at the school that Saturday morning everyone was running around fixing last minute details. I found my spot in the tent to watch and sat down until suddenly was informed that I would be participating in the first race 100 meters! Those you who know me from my high schools would probably never picture me running in a race, but when I tell you I ran boy did I run. I happy finished last on purpose pulled back to let the other’s place I am not saying that was winning but I would have come in third and I stayed with the pack. As many of you know this was a great achievement. That day I ran my rear end off in four different events! We had this huge lunch that was awesome and at the end everyone helped clean up. They don’t have janitors here and even the parents helped. I guess I forgot to mention that the whole town practically turns out for these advents! Later that evening was my first work party. I had a place of honor at the head table right next to the principle who made sure my plate was always full, while others made sure my drink was. The party was great because it is true they relax a lot more outside of school and I go to learn a lot of things that I didn’t know before. After dinner we headed out to Karaoke which was great because we ended up at this very Japanese karaoke bar, serving only whisky and water. I did my best with singing hello, goodbye (Beatles) they love them here and I figured everyone could sing along to hello goodbye. I was catching a ride with one of the English teachers, and another teacher who was driving. I thought hmm that man has had a lot to drink, but the English teacher and I hadn’t so I figured she knew what she was doing. We got to his car and apparently in Japan you can call a service and they will come and drive you home in your car for the same cost of a taxi. While on the journey home I realized I didn’t have my kids. I thought either they fell out or I left them at home. The English teacher picked up that something was wrong right away! So I told her I didn’t have keys, which led to embarrassing worrying. Lucky for me I left a window unlocked and was able to climb in. This not being the first time I know one of these days the neighbors are going to call the police! Thankfully what happens at these parties stay at the party so no mention of me forgetting my keys at home! That Sunday I had another two sport’s day this time with elementary school students. Mostly I feel like I am their new pet monkey and they want to shoe me off. So like the good little monkey I am I ran and ran against six years-old children. Again I had another party after the second had finished. What they didn’t tell me is that they were all going bathing before the party. Thermal water, naked bathing at the hotel. I ran home and took a shower ran back and no one was dressed. I couldn’t believe that they all were going to the party in their tracks suites. Of course I should have known something was up. They sprang the bathing on me and the want of me to go when we got the hotel. They all had their little bags with their little towels and I didn’t have anything so I declined again and again. I just wish they hadn’t sprung it on me. Plus I don’t care what anyone says they look and especially being their new little monkey that would want to see what have. No Thanks! I think one needs to work their way into Japanese bathing, but that’s just me.
That is pretty much the update. Class went well this week. I took command of the classroom and laid down some rules. Overall I do like my kids. I go back and forth about school lunch both students and teachers eat the same cafeteria food and I am not sure if I am going to be able to continue eating it…
Again I am very excited for the big city. Looking forward to some international food and stores!
Much love
The first week of school went well. It was very ruff at the beginning because I wasn’t sleeping well and I was thrust into four classes. My job goes way beyond my job description, which at times and mostly because I am new at this can be a little ruff. I am commanding my own classroom and my own curriculum.
Last week school wasn’t very busy as I the area experienced a typhoon and school was canceled early one day and canceled altogether the next. The typhoon wasn’t to ruff. I will admit I did become nervous at the furry of a couple wind gusts and my house’s shutters. Since we had off for the storm it meant that classes were to be canceled for the remainder of the week for preparation of Sport’s Day or what I like to call the ultimate field day. The canceled classes so they children could drill all of their events for sport’s day. Every detailed was choreographed and perfected. Might I add this was all done in 90 degree weather on a field made not of grass but of sand. The Japanese don’t believe in grass for some reason (I am investigating into why) I do know one reason is because when the Japanese think of grass they think of a golf course thus every lawn or field if they had them would have to look like a gulf course. Back to sports day…I was given a baseball cap and bought a T-shirt that all the staff wore. When I arrived at the school that Saturday morning everyone was running around fixing last minute details. I found my spot in the tent to watch and sat down until suddenly was informed that I would be participating in the first race 100 meters! Those you who know me from my high schools would probably never picture me running in a race, but when I tell you I ran boy did I run. I happy finished last on purpose pulled back to let the other’s place I am not saying that was winning but I would have come in third and I stayed with the pack. As many of you know this was a great achievement. That day I ran my rear end off in four different events! We had this huge lunch that was awesome and at the end everyone helped clean up. They don’t have janitors here and even the parents helped. I guess I forgot to mention that the whole town practically turns out for these advents! Later that evening was my first work party. I had a place of honor at the head table right next to the principle who made sure my plate was always full, while others made sure my drink was. The party was great because it is true they relax a lot more outside of school and I go to learn a lot of things that I didn’t know before. After dinner we headed out to Karaoke which was great because we ended up at this very Japanese karaoke bar, serving only whisky and water. I did my best with singing hello, goodbye (Beatles) they love them here and I figured everyone could sing along to hello goodbye. I was catching a ride with one of the English teachers, and another teacher who was driving. I thought hmm that man has had a lot to drink, but the English teacher and I hadn’t so I figured she knew what she was doing. We got to his car and apparently in Japan you can call a service and they will come and drive you home in your car for the same cost of a taxi. While on the journey home I realized I didn’t have my kids. I thought either they fell out or I left them at home. The English teacher picked up that something was wrong right away! So I told her I didn’t have keys, which led to embarrassing worrying. Lucky for me I left a window unlocked and was able to climb in. This not being the first time I know one of these days the neighbors are going to call the police! Thankfully what happens at these parties stay at the party so no mention of me forgetting my keys at home! That Sunday I had another two sport’s day this time with elementary school students. Mostly I feel like I am their new pet monkey and they want to shoe me off. So like the good little monkey I am I ran and ran against six years-old children. Again I had another party after the second had finished. What they didn’t tell me is that they were all going bathing before the party. Thermal water, naked bathing at the hotel. I ran home and took a shower ran back and no one was dressed. I couldn’t believe that they all were going to the party in their tracks suites. Of course I should have known something was up. They sprang the bathing on me and the want of me to go when we got the hotel. They all had their little bags with their little towels and I didn’t have anything so I declined again and again. I just wish they hadn’t sprung it on me. Plus I don’t care what anyone says they look and especially being their new little monkey that would want to see what have. No Thanks! I think one needs to work their way into Japanese bathing, but that’s just me.
That is pretty much the update. Class went well this week. I took command of the classroom and laid down some rules. Overall I do like my kids. I go back and forth about school lunch both students and teachers eat the same cafeteria food and I am not sure if I am going to be able to continue eating it…
Again I am very excited for the big city. Looking forward to some international food and stores!
Much love
1 Comments:
Don't know what to say about all this except that I am glad you have good judgement and are cautious.
Post a Comment
<< Home