Thursday, January 12, 2006

Happy New Year!

My new year was ushered in on the beaches of Thailand! I left a very snowy Japan on December 23rd. Having truly feared I would get snowed in. It took me five hours to get to Osaka when usually it should take about three. I happily boarded the plane with Rashad, a fellow teacher from my town. As we sat in our seat browsing the movie listings, the passenger sitting next to me arrived placing her various belongs in the front seat pocket, when suddenly the passenger behind her said excuse me and she yelled, "I can't go anywhere asshole." Rashad and I almost died in a fit of "I cannot believe what just happened laughter." I spent my vacation mostly south of Bangkok. I lingered on the beaches reading through several books, took advantage of Thai massages and cheap spa treatments, dined on exquisite Thai curries and noodles, rock climbed, explored the black markets of designer copies, was blessed by a monk, just to name a few things. I traveled down to Kuala Lumpur for about thirty-six hours. Their reserved, colorful, respectful culture was refreshing. Only to return to a very snowy and cold Japan. Haven't had this weather for twenty years. So I am told... Traveling back was what some may say was a laboured journey. They gave me the wrong flight information in Bangkok and I missed a connecting flight and one holding back tears/Ally McBeal moment lead to another, when I finally found myself home a mear twenty-four hours later. To make it clear I could have flown to the USA and back in that time. I've spent the last several days at home in bed. I was delighted to find my flannel sheets had arrived from the US. Good old LLBean has become a life saver. I no longer have to turn on my electric blanket on to warm the sheets to go to bed. I have a feeling my new love for my flannel sheets will find me in bed when ever possible, reading the stack of books I have composed and promised myself to read before the winter is out, as well as enjoying my very cheap black market DVD collection on my laptop. My professional life here in Japan is at the moment in a bit of an upheaval as Rashad is leaving and the Board of Education has decided I should take over his duties as well as my own. Very sadly this means my very favorite elementary school days are most likely going to be cut down to a bear minimum. Everything just boiled over this very morning so the situation is still foggy. As it stands right now I will not be re-contracting, but returning home in June. My schools are greatly disappointed. My thespian days are numbered, as we will finally be performing our play next week. I can't wait until it's over! It's been a lot of fun, but I am ready for the finished product. It should be interesting as most of the cast as of this week is sick. No, really it's going to be great!I am looking forward to the months of ahead. I have journeys already planned through July. Of course all subject to change. I am most certainly looking forward to spring when I will get to stop battling the cold! I think I've said it before but I'll say it again, I feel like a pioneer woman sometimes lugging and filling heavy kerosene containers in and out of my house. The roads are so icy I've become some what of a professional ice skater on my walks to work. Of course the driving which I thought couldn't get any slower in Japan has slowed down ten fold. I hope you find some of my accounts humorous as in many ways I have to because things are simply just so different. Happy and Healthy New Year!Love to All!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home