Sunday, March 05, 2006

In like a LION

February was a jammed packed month. I shall begin at the beginning. On the 1st my fellow ALT left my town for greener pastures back in the USA. Leaving me in some what of a lurch. My employers have seen fit to jam my schedule with all the schools he had been tending to. The official plan was laid out, nine schools a week rotating two schools in and out (yup that's eleven total). On February 3rd it became official that I will not be renewing my contract for another year (yup that mean's I'll be back to the US summer '06). I feel very comfortable and confident in my decision. I am greatly looking forward to coming home. As for the future plans it could be anything from being homeless to marrying the Sultan of Brunei (no, no he has too many wives). My point is I am not sure yet, but anything is possible! The first weekend I participated in "Yukigassen" which pretty much means a snowball festival. My imagination ran wild with ideas of what I was possibly getting myself into. I imagined a more aggressive event much like paint ball. I was wrong the area where you played was about the size of a tennis court, you had to wear a helmet, balls were of regulation size, and the idea was to capture the flag or have more men standing at the end. Our first game was played with adrenaline and confusion. Our second game was much better and focused, we won one! At the event I felt very un-welcomed by the Japanese, who kept making comments, laughing and making unfair calls. It was a fun day but a reminder of how unwelcoming Japan can be. The second week of February I started my new schedule, was filled with opening ceremonies and short speeches. It was a bit overwhelming, but everyone was very nice and glad to see me. On the 12th I boarded a plane to Okinawa. I had the perfect excuse to escape the cold of main island of Japan, my friend, Nick. Nick and I met way back in Munich, about three years ago. He's in the navy and as the stars would have it, just happened to be at one of the american bases in Okinawa. My hotel was right on the water. I got to know the Okinawan bus system really well. Okinawa is an interesting place and as far as I am concerned is very different from Japan. Although I felt for the most part people where extremely unfriendly I did have some good experiences. I met a man who showed me photos of his little island of the coast of Japan. I had to laugh when I had to take of my shoes to enter the Okinawan castle and of course I being the foreigner didn't have socks on. The following day I set off with my ipod to find the various war memorial sites on Okinawa. When I reached my transfer station, the station men looked with fear as I entered in to ask a question. They seemed to ease when I asked in Japanese. My bus didn't leave for an hour but the two other tourist I was tracking hopped on an earlier bus, with my puzzled japanese I asked the driver where he was going. He wasn't going to the Peace Memorial, but he told me I could get off and walk. I said is it close and he said well kind of. Twenty minutes later I found myself standing in basically the middle of sugarcane fields. I found a sign and it turned out I had to walk something like three miles to the memorial. (Up hill that is) A long story short I found a convenient and asked for a taxi. The most extraordinary moment happened next...I found myself at the peace memorial and in search for my great uncle's name. I had hoped, but was unsure that I would discover his name. Among the thousands of names etched in a sea of loss, was William D Kane. The discovery was an extraordinary moment in my life. I can barely begin to describe the profoundness of that moment for me. Okinawa has such a sad history and discovering and observing what I did helps me to grasp all that I learned in college about WWII. I find myself more disillusioned by the Japanese education system. They teach virtually nothing of World War II history. My students have virtually no idea of any part of Okinawan history, I think they have some idea of Hiroshima. The peace memorial was a life changing experience. I headed back to the city to meet, Nick and his friend Sean who unknowing were my valentines after all it was February 14th. Valentines day in Japan is celebrated by the woman presenting a man with a gift. In turn a month later if the man decides he likes the woman he will return the favor by giving her a gift. Hitting home once again how misogynistic Japan truly is. I was delighted though by the sushi and squid chocolate, not to mention the 'hello kitty' goodies, that I could give for gifts. The next day I checked out the most incredible aquarium. On my final day I saw a movie, the first movie I have seen in a theatre since moving to Japan! The following day my dad and brother, Matt, arrived in Japan! We had the most amazing visit together. We did Japan: from Osaka, we went to the 'Naked Man Festival' in Okayama, next was my town little town. For three days I took my dad and brother to work. My favorite principle took us out for an incredible meal and is currently in the process of painting our portrait! My middle school students finaly stepped up to the plate and were a delight. The English department took us out to dinner too. My very, very sweet friend, Somei, brought over two huge crabs, tons of fish and enough rice to feed an army. We bullet trained our way to Hiroshima, dined on Okonomiyaki in a nine person restaurant, walked the hallowed grounds of ground zero of the A-bomb, and headed to an island known for being the third prettiest place in Japan. From there we zipped our way up to Kyoto and stayed in a traditional Japanese inn. We stumbled upon an international day so my dad and brother got to explore the traditional arts and crafts of Japan, which worked out perfect on the only rainy day of the trip. Of course I was very sad to see them go and a part of me wanted to go with them, but I cannot tell you how comforted I am by the fabulous memories of the trip. I can't be sad or homesick!The last week I've been taking it easy as the weather has gotten cold again. I am currently in the process of a "24" (series) marathon. Signing off for now!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Cousin! Wow. It looks like February was an exciting month. Those are great stories and pictures. The sites, culture and foods look awesome.

I am glad you were able to find the memorialand your great uncle's name. I am sure it was an emotional moment. I am also happy to hear that your dad and Matt had a great trip and got to see so much.

Hope to see you summer when you come home.

Take care,
Sean, Allison, & Lily

10:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home